If you’ve been a reader for awhile, then you already know that I love to bake. I also enjoy eating healthy and I’ve started my clean eating challenge just a few weeks ago. While my entire family seems to be a bit “Christmas-cookied-out”, I’ve luckily still gotten the chance to bake quite a few times while being home!
With clean eating I’ve discovered quite a few new foods as well as new recipes, mostly dinners as of right now. I’ve been trying really hard to eat things that are beneficial for my body. Whether it be having water instead of soda,having fruit instead of chips for an afternoon snack. Like many of you, I enjoy eating spaghetti, and I was really excited to learn how to make a new kind of spaghetti and meatballs that would help my body be the best it can be this new year!
Here’s what you’ll need!
- 1-3 pound spaghetti squash
- 2 Tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley, divided
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1.25 teaspoons italian seasoning, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- dash of crushed red pepper
Here’s what you’ll have to do!
- Cut the spaghetti squash in half and scoop out the seeds (you can save the seeds if you want to roast some for a snack later). Place facedown in a microwave-safe dish, add 2 tablespoons water and microwave uncovered about 10-15 minutes (I did 14 minutes)
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
Scrape squash flesh with fork into skillet and cook, stir occasionally until moisture is evaporated and squash has begun to brown.
- Stir in 1/4 cup parsley, remove from heat, cover and let stand
- Combine 1/4 cup parsley, 1/4 cup parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning, onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper into medium bowl. Mix together.
- Create meatballs by using about 2 tablespoons meat and roll in mixture, setting in skillet. I put in 3 before turning down the heat until I had added the rest, then brought the heat back up again.
Once meatballs are browned: push to side of pan add garlic and cook about 1 minute, add tomatos, crushed red pepper and 3/4 teaspoon italian seasoning and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir to coat over the meatballs.
- Serve over squash, sprinkling with parmesan or whatever cheese or topping you’d like!
I made this dish for my mom and I one night, and we both really enjoyed it! I had never made anything with spaghetti squash before, and it turned out delicious! You can always play around with what you put into your seasoning if you’d like! I hope you get a chance to try this dish, and if you do make sure to comment below! I would love to hear from you!